Even though blogs are on the rise since 1999, blog culture in Qatar is still at its earliest stage as only a handful of locals use this method to communicate their thoughts. To learn about blogs and how to blog, let’s answer some basic questions.
What is a Blog?
By definition, a blog is a personal webpage that anyone can create to share their thoughts on regular basis by using text, images, videos and links to other related blogs or websites.
A blog is not a website. There’s a difference. The blog is simpler in language and it is more informal than websites. That’s why these days corporates either create a separate blog or embed a blog page in their website to reach their audiences in a less formal manner. The layout of a blog is different as well as it usually consists of a page or two and the articles are posted in chronological order.
What is the different types of Blogs?
- Personal: A blog that is started by an individual who uses it to express his/her thought on a continuous basis. The subject of a personal blog vary from an individual to the next. It can be just general thoughts diaries or a specific subject like, politics, business, fashion, literature, travel or any other focused subject.
- Corporate: As mentioned above, many companies launched blogs to connect at a different level with their audience.
- Reverse: A blog created by several individuals who write as contributing writers and sometimes open the blog to anyone who wishes to write in the blog.
- Micro-blogging: We micro-blog every day without realizing it. It is sharing thoughts and ideas in simple tiny posts, like we do in Twitter and Facebook.
How to start a Blog?
These websites offer easy creation of a blog with simple steps, tools and even layout designs. You will have your own dashboard to post your articles and also tools to monitor and analyze your page attraction. After thinking of a concept to your blog and a cool name for it, you should choose a blog host. Unlike the website that you normally have to create from the start, a blog host can offer an easy creation and hosting of a blog. The most popular websites to create and host blogs are WordPress and Blogger.
What is Blogger’s code of conduct?
Since blogs continue to rise in popularity, a Blogger’s code of conduct was created by Tim O’Reilly who called for all bloggers to work together to develop it further. O’Reilly and others came up with a list of seven proposed ideas:
- Take responsibility not just for your own words, but for the comments you allow on your blog.
- Label your tolerance level for abusive comments.
- Consider eliminating anonymous comments.
- Ignore the trolls.
- Take the conversation offline, and talk directly, or find an intermediary who can do so.
- If you know someone who is behaving badly, tell them so.
- Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t say in person. If you have any favorite local bloggers, please mention them in the comment section.
So, this is only a basic introduction to Blogs and if you wish to enter the blogging world I recommend more research blogging tips and I would like to wish you the best of luck.
If you have any favorite local bloggers, please mention them in the comment section.